Warrington is a 'very high risk' local COVID alert level area (tier 3).

All businesses and venues should follow COVID-secure guidance to protect customers, visitors and workers. Our coronavirus community support officers will be working alongside Cheshire Police to ensure that businesses have the support they need to continue to operate safely, in line with the current guidance and restrictions.

What are the restrictions?

Restrictions on businesses and venues in 'very high risk' alert level areas include:

  • Most businesses selling food or drink on their premises are required to close between 10pm and 5am
  • Businesses and venues selling food for consumption off the premises can continue to do so after 10pm as long as this is through delivery service, click-and-collect or drive-through
  • Pubs and bars must close unless they operate as a restaurant - which means serving substantial meals, like a main lunchtime or evening meal. Alcohol must only be served as part of such a meal
  • Businesses must ensure that they operate in a COVID-secure manner, including table service and restrictions on group bookings
  • Businesses and venues are required to collect customer, visitor and staff data to support NHS Test and Trace
  • The wearing of face coverings for customers and staff in certain indoor settings
  • Businesses must ensure that if their workers are required to self-isolate, they do not work outside their designated place of self-isolation
  • Businesses and venues that fail to comply with these restrictions may face fines of up to £10,000, prosecution, or in some cases closure

Retail, leisure centres, gyms, fitness centres, trampoline parks, and places of worship will remain open as long as they are COVID-secure.

Venues following COVID-secure guidance must ensure people are not mixing indoors, or in most public outdoor venues, with anyone who they do not live with (or have formed a consistent support bubble with). 

Find out more about the local restrictions

Business owners

If you have coronavirus concerns about your business, it is vital that you take action quickly to prevent transmission of the virus. Make sure you understand the steps you need to take to keep everyone as safe as possible.

NHS Test and Trace

Premises and venues across England must have a system in place to record contact details of their customers, visitors and staff to support NHS Test and Trace. For more information, view the government's guidance on maintaining records on their website.

It is legally required for certain venues to display NHS QR posters. This includes all venues from the following sectors:

  • hospitality
  • leisure and tourism
  • close contact services
  • places of worship
  • local authority venues

Find out more about how to download your QR poster on the NHS website

Reporting cases of coronavirus in your organisation

COVID-19 early outbreak management information has been created to ensure people who run businesses or organisations:

  • know how to recognise and report cases of coronavirus
  • are aware of measures that may need to be taken in order to contain it

The government and Public Health England have produced guidance for businesses, and outbreak 'action cards' for specific settings.

Read the guidance and download the action cards on the government's website


How to report coronavirus safety concerns in your workplace

If you're concerned that your employer isn't following the national guidance, and that your workplace doesn't have appropriate COVID secure safety measures in place, you could speak to the person in charge of the venue, your employer, your union or employee representative.

You can also report it to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Call 0300 790 6787 or highlight it to the HSE online.


How to report coronavirus safety concerns in a business environment

If you're concerned that a local business isn't following the national guidance, and doesn't have appropriate COVID secure safety measures in place, you can report it to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Call 0300 790 6787 or highlight it to the HSE online.

If you still have concerns, you can report any issues to us

Tell us about your COVID safety issue

Is your business COVID secure?

Government guidance

You must work through the government’s guidance on working safely to make your workplace COVID secure.

The guidance looks at five areas:

  1. Risk assessments
  2. Hand washing
  3. Working from home
  4. Social distancing
  5. What to do when you can’t social distance

The government website also provides more detailed guidance, and has sector specific information, which is being updated regularly.

This includes guidance for:

  • Offices, shops and call centres
  • Close contact services such as hairdressers
  • Restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaway services
  • Factories, plants and warehouses

The Health and Safety Executive also offer advice to businesses by calling 0300 790 6787 lines are open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 8pm or you can request advice online.

Is your water supply safe from the risk of Legionella?

If your water system has not been used regularly there is a risk of Legionella. You must make sure it is safe before using it. The Health and Safety Executive website and United Utilities can provide further information.

Are you a food business (including Foodbanks and community cooking)?

As well as checking the you are adhering to the guidance on the government's website, the Food Standard Agency has a checklist and guidance to make sure you have considered issues like:

  • pest control
  • cleaning
  • waste collection
  • changes to your Food Safety Management System

Visit the Food Standards Agency’s website and work through the re-opening checklist for food businesses.

As well as using the government’s working safely guidance you can find the Food Standards Agency guidance, advice and checklists.

If you are operating a Foodbank there is specific guidance for you on the Food Standards Agency website.

Do you need a particular licence or permissions?

Do you wish to apply for a temporary pavement café licence under our new procedure?

Find out more about the licences and permits you need for certain businesses and activities.

Are you purchasing equipment for your employees?

In order to re-open your business safely, you my need to purchase Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or hand sanitiser, and use appropriately.

Be aware of guidance on product safety and ensure you are purchasing appropriate equipment from a reputable supplier. 

Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for more information, or read the government's guidance on product safety for businesses.

Food businesses operating as takeaways

    During the ongoing coronavirus situation, many food businesses have moved to a takeaway model, following the social distancing measures implemented by the government. The Food Standards Agency has advised that it's improbable that coronavirus can be transferred from one person to another via food.

    If you're a business that wants to begin operating in this way, then you will need to consider a number of things.

    Moving to a take-away model
    • The requirements for food production haven't changed. It's as important as ever to make sure that you continue to adhere to food hygiene and safety
    • You should have suitable facilities to offer takeaways including structure, hand washing facilities, equipment washing and proper toilet provision
    • Your staff should be trained, fit and able to work. Also consider the additional risks to these staff; how are you going minimise their risk of exposure to the virus?
    • Ensure your staff are practising social distancing, as advised by the government
    • You should have a suitably documented Food Safety Management System (such as Safer Food Better Business which you can download for free) for your business. If offering takeaway meals is new to your business, review what you're doing to see if there are any significant changes to be made
    • Identify which food options are going to be made available for takeaway and delivery. Not all of your usual menu items will be suitable for takeaway
    • Take the chance to review your allergen procedures and establish how this allergen information is going to be communicated? Customers must be advised to 'ask about allergens' at any point where orders can be placed, such as menus and websites. Consider who is going to pass on this information. How will you avoid cross-contamination in transit? How will you ensure the right customer gets the right meal? Further advice for business about allergens is available from the Food Standards Agency website.
    • Ensure you have adequate storage facilities for any additional stock you're purchasing
    • Think about how you're going to process the food orders and update your foods safety management system. Will you be significantly changing the way you cook and pre-preparing food? If so, how are you hot holding/cooling and refrigerating it? Are you preparing food in advance or continuing to cook to order?
    • Think about the practicalities of the food delivery; how far are you going to deliver meals? How will you arrange payment? Are the containers that are to be used food safe? Is further insurance required?
    • How are you going to carry out the delivery to ensure temperature control is maintained and to prevent cross-contamination? We advise that use insulated boxes - in particular, separate boxes for cold and hot food items. 

    Further information

    If you need more information, please visit the Food Standards Agency website. Alternatively, you can send your enquiry via email to Environmental.Health@Warrington.gov.uk.